Friday, May 31, 2013

Interview with Gary Goldstein

Leave a Comment


Welcome back to Book Repository Author Interview.
My Guest today for Author’s Interview is Gary Goldstein. Gary is the author of Jew in Jail
And here is my Author Interview with Gary.
Enjoy It!

Tell us about yourself and how many books you have written.
My name is Gary Goldstein, and I am the author of Jew in Jail, as well as a blogger,and motivational & inspirational speaker on recovery from addiction.
Jew in Jail is about the nearly six years I spent in various New York State prisons for robbery, based on my past addictions to alcohol, drugs and gambling.
It details all of the trails and tribulations I experienced as a minority behind bars, and how I was forced to fend for myself while incarcerated.
Jew in Jail is truthful, insightful, educational, and at times even funny, all the while focusing on my attempts at rehabilitation from my past addictions, so that I could lead a productive, law-abiding life upon my eventual release.
Jew in Jail is recommended for anyone suffering from an addiction, a family member, friend, loved one, or co-worker of such a person, or anyone living with low self-esteem and self-confidence who is interested in a better way of life.

What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?

My latest book is Jew in Jail.
I have always wanted to write a book, although, obviously, not under these conditions of becoming incarcerated. However, once I knew that my fate was going to be serving time in prison, I decided to write “Jew in Jail,” and was inspired to do so once my beloved late father, Irving Goldstein, passed away from the effects of lung cancer and emphysema on January 23, 1999, which was only 15 days after I had been sentenced, and still on Rikers Island waiting to be transported north to a correctional facility. My father had always encouraged me to be my best, and offered unending support my entire life, so I wanted to honor my father by dedicating “Jew in Jail” to how special my father was to me.

In addition, the other reason why I wrote “Jew in Jail” was to show anyone that whatever obstacles appear in one’s life – and in my case it was the disease of addiction – it is possible to overcome them and go on to lead a positive and fruitful life. These days, aside from being a published author, I am also a motivational and inspirational speaker on the topic of recovery from addiction, and get so much out of helping others.

Do you have any unusual writing habits?
This is a very good question. Since I wrote Jew in Jail while I was doing my time, as opposed to once I came home a free man, I wrote it and went along as I experienced everything in prison on a daily basis.
Now that I have been home for nine years, I prefer writing in front of my computer during the day. If I ever get writer's block, I just turn on some music or have a snack to gather my thoughts, and everything usually falls into place.

What authors, or books have influenced you?

I am always extremely impressed by Dr. Phillip C. McGraw, aka Dr. Phil, because he is very much into helping people, and both his books and television show are brutally honest and straight to the point!

What are you working on now?
I am really just focusing my efforts on continuing to promote Jew in Jail, as well as spread the message of recovery from addiction by delivering motivational & inspirational speeches, since that has truly become my passion these days!

What is your best method or website when it comes to promoting your books?
My website is http://www.jewinjail.com, and aside from spending a lot of time on social media sites like LinkedIn, Goodreads, Twitter, Facebook, and some others, I also enjoy getting out and meeting with my readers and fans in person to provide that human touch.

Do you have any advice for new authors?

Yes, that they should always find their "hook," or unique way to market their book, and never give up trying to get noticed in this highly competitive field. In addition, they should also be confident and proud of their talents and be patient, because good things come to those who wait, and they will eventually build up a fan base that will remain for their entire career if they learn how to interact with their readers.

What is the best advice you have ever heard?

To never, never, never give up chasing your dreams!

What are you reading now?

Nice Companies Finish First by Peter Shankman

What’s next for you as a writer?

As I mentioned earlier, to simply continue to promote Jew in Jail, as well as deliver more motivational & inspirational speeches on recovery from addiction, in order to help as many people as I possibly can avoid the same mistakes I made and live up to their full potential and greatness.

What is your favorite book of all time?

That is a tough one, but, in all honesty and humility, I would have to say my book, Jew in Jail, because it has led me to my current path today, which keeps me clean & sober on a daily basis, and without my own recovery, I may not even be here responding to your great questions!

Author Websites and Profiles

0 comments:

Post a Comment