Thursday, June 13, 2013

Interview with Donna McGarry

Leave a Comment

Welcome all. 
Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Donna McGarry author  of Zodiacts: Leo Limelight Lunacy:Dance of the Dueling Divas.

Where were you born and where do you call home? 
I was born in the Bronx, New York. I currently live in Nyack. NY.

Tell us about something that has just happened or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.
I’m very excited that I got current and transformed Zodiacts: Taurus Treehouse into a multi-touch ebook for ITunes!

What date were you born? - you can leave off the year if you like.
June 24. Like I said I’m a Cancer(homebody) with an Aquarius Moon(I’m an eccentric weirdo) and Sagittarius rising (When I do leave the house it’s for hiking and seminars).

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?
Zodiacts: Leo Limelight Lunacy: Dance of the Dueling Divas
This book introduces young readers to the energies of the zodiac sign Leo. Starrkitty finds her arch rival Lola Leo performing in a solo show, and promptly embarks on upstaging her.

If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say? Starrkitty would say, “It certainly was kind of me to extend myself to that poor, unfortunate, one-trick pony Lola Leo!”

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?
Yes, I’ll be starting on the Virgo book next. It’s tentatively titled ‘Vinny d’ Virgo and his Venison Stew.’
What books have influenced your writing?
I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
Charles M. Schulz or Tennessee Williams

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
My Sun sign is Cancer, so I’m one of the old sticks in the mud who prefer a hardcover.

Where do you prefer to buy your books?
I love to wander around the bookstore or library and browse that way.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?
I self-published the series. It never occurred to me to seek a traditional publisher.

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?
My books are all in print. I just finished an interactive, narrated version of Zodiacts:Taurus Treehouse for ITunes and an ebook for Kindle Fire. I’m going to convert the other 4 this year.

What book would you like to read again?
Because I happened upon it today and couldn’t remember it very well, ‘I Know This Much Is True’. I remember loving it.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
Get back to me on this one.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
The Book of Pluto by Steven Forrest in paperback.

Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?
I just this year fell for T.C. Boyle. I love his flawed characters, his pacing, the vocabulary, and the topics.
Who designed the cover of your book?
I do all the artwork in photoshop.

Do you buy a book by the cover?
I get attracted by the cover, but then like to go to the middle of the book to check out the writing style.

Do you have a book trailer?
I did a trailer for my book Zodiacts: Taurus Treehouse

What are your thoughts on book trailers?
Some are fun, but books aren’t movies and I don’t think they necessarily have to be.

Do you write under a pen name?
No.

Do you have a nickname? 
My niece started calling me Puppy when she was 2 and it stuck.

Did you have a favorite toy as a child?
I had a big Raggedy Ann collection when I was little. My family and I imbued them with specific personalities and used to talk in their voices as a way of communicating with each other.
An early childhood memory - 
Being shushed.


Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
As we speak.

What are your pet peeves? 
Unkindness and people who just run water for no apparent reason.

Any pets that you would like to tell us about, share a pic?
I have a 15 year old shih tzu who is the boss of me. He sleeps 23 hours a day with one eye open. As soon as I try to slip out he goes ballistic. His barks sounds like, “Where’s the help! Heads will roll!”

White wine or red?
Beer!

Coffee or tea?
Both

So you like to cook?  Do you have a favorite food?
My sesame noodles are yummy, and my vegetable lasagna is delicious. Pizza is my favorite.

Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream?
Berry sorbet
What do you normally eat for breakfast, of do you skip it and get straight to work?
Yoga, banana, get to it.

What are 4 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?
Shoes. I roam unencumbered.

Sleep in or get up early?
Early riser

Laptop or desktop for writing?
laptop

Your favorite gadget - 
I’m not into gadgets at all. Finally got a cell last year, but I do love the photoshop!

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
At home and whenever I can.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad - 
Not being media savvy, I find it hard to get my work out into the world. I’m going to go with ‘any press is good press.’

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?
Bill Murray- I’d have to risk him putting dead animals in my sleeping bag but he seems like entertaining company-
Steven Forrest -he’s a great storyteller and I could talk astrology with him-
Michelle Obama-She can garden and stand up to Bill Murray

Where is one place in the world that you would really love to visit someday?
Australia
One of your favorite quotes -
“If you can dream it, you can do it.” Walt Disney

List 3 books you just recently read and would recommend?
Water Music by T.C. Boyle. I was at the end of my seat with this one. It’s set in the late 18th century, is entertaining and chock full of action-adventure.
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell-I love the multiple story lines, the various writing styles and the time travel.
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen- I wasn’t crazy about the writing, especially the dialogue, but I’m fascinated by carnie life and loved the story.

List 3 of your favorite movies?
Groundhog Day-my favorite romantic comedy
Hannah and Her Sisters-I’m a big Woody Allen fan
Fargo-Love that Steve Buscemi. I had a dream once where he fixed my car and I ran after him yelling . “We’ll work together one day Steve.”

An actor or a book character you have a crush on -
I had a crush on that Pullo from the TV show Rome

What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and really enjoyed?
I’m behind on Game of Thrones because I don’t have HBO but I really got sucked in to the first two seasons. Love that Arya

If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters?  Feel free to add pics.
It would be voices since it’s illustrated so:





 Sofia Vergara or Mae West! for Starrkitty









 Maise Williams as Sally Sagittarius










  Arnold Schwarzenegger for Grannitaurus










 Since you reminded about my Steve Buscemi fixation, he’s in for Andy Aries!





David Hyde Pierce for Leo


Do you have any advice for other writers?
Sit down and do it!

Where can your readers stalk you?
Other:zodiacts.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment